(46-1) 03 * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Determination of the orbital angular momentum state of a radio wave beam based on quantitative characteristics of a radio communication system
E.G. Anufriyev 1
1 050000, Almaty, Kazakhstan, Tulebaeva 123
PDF, 3059 kB
Full text of article: Russian language.
Nowadays, due to the lack of available radio frequency spectrum, there is a need for the development of technologies that would make it possible to use this spectrum more efficiently. One such technology involves the use of radio waves with orbital angular momentum (OAM). This paper proposes a new quantitative method for determining the number of single states of a beam carrying OAM based on an analysis of the S21 system parameters. This allows the receiver to be tuned to receive beams with a specific OAM state. The radio waves carrying OAM have a frequency of 80 GHz. In this work, a pyramidal horn was used as a transmitting antenna, with a spiral phase plate used to twist the emitted radio wave. An array of receiving antennas was in the form of dipoles. Limitations of this method were investigated. This work is a computer experiment.
orbital angular momentum, vorticity, radio wave propagation.
Anufriyev EG. Determination of the orbital angular momentum state of a radio wave beam based on quantitative characteristics of a radio communication system. Computer Optics 2022; 46(1): 22-29. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-CO-907.
I would like to thank O. Z. Rutgaizer and T. M. Idelfonso for their help.
- Willner E, Huang H, Yan Y, Ren Y, Ahmed N, Xie G, Bao C, Li L, Cao Y, Zhao Z, Wang J, Lavery MPJ, Tur M, Ramachandran S, Molisch AF, Ashrafi N, Ashrafi S. Optical communications using orbital angular momentum beams. Adv Opt Photon 2015; 7: 66-106.
- Tamburini F, Mari E, Sponselli A, Romanato F, Thidé B, Bianchini A, Palmieri L, Someda CG. Encoding many channels in the same frequency through radio vorticity: first experimental test. New J Phys 2012; 14: 033001.
- Yan Y, Xie G, Lavery MPJ, Huang H, Ahmed N, Bao C, Ren Y, Cao Y, Li L, Zhao Z, Molisch AF, Tur M, Padgett MJ, Willner AE. High-capacity millimetre-wave communications with orbital angular momentum multiplexing. Nat Commun 2014; 5: 4876.
- Bouchard F, De Leon I, Schulz SA, Upham J, Karimi E, Boyd RW. Optical spin-to-orbital angular momentum conversion in ultra-thin metasurfaces with arbitrary topological charges. Appl Phys Lett 2014; 105: 101905.
- Wang J, Yang J-Y, Fazal IM, Ahmed N, Yan Y, Huang H, Ren Y, Yue Y, Dolinar S, Tur M, Willner AE. Terabit free-space data transmission employing orbital angular momentum multiplexing. Nat Photon 2012; 6: 488-496.
- Krenn M, Fickler R, Fink M, Handsteiner J, Malik M, Scheidl T, Ursin R, Zeilinger A. Communication with spatially modulated light through turbulent air across Vienn. New J Phys 2014; 16: 113028.
- Xi R, Liu H, Li L. Generation and analysis of high-gain orbital angular momentum vortex wave using circular array and parasitic EBG with oblique incidence. Sci Rep 2017; 7: 17363.
- Yamane K, Yang Z, Toda Y, Morita R. Frequency-resolved measurement of the orbital angular momentum spectrum of femtosecond ultra-broadband optical-vortex pulses based on field reconstruction. New J Phys 2014; 16: 053020.
- Alperin SN. Quantitative measurement of the orbital angular momentum of light with a single, stationary lens. Opt Lett 2016; 41(21): 5019-5022.
- Zheng S, Wang J. Measuring orbital angular momentum (OAM) states of vortex beams with annular gratings. Sci Rep 2017; 7: 40781. DOI: 10.1038/srep40781.
- Salazar AR, Rommel S, Anufriyev E, Monroy IT, Olmos JJV. Rapid prototyping by 3D printing for advanced radio communications at 80 GHz and above. In Book: Proc 4M/IWMF2016. Lyngby; 2016.
- Turnbull GA, Robertson DA, Smith GM, Allen L, Padgett MJ. The generation of free-space Laguerre-Gaussian modes at millimetre-wave frequencies by use of a spiral phase plate. Opt Commun 1996; 127(4-6): 183-188.
- Hui X, Zheng S, Hu Y. Ultralow reflectivity spiral phase plate for generation of millimeter-wave OAM beam. IEEE Antennas Wirel Propag Lett 2015; 14: 966-969.
- Oldoni M, Spinello F, Mari E, Parisi G, Someda CG, Tamburini F, Romanato F, Ravanelli R, Coassini P, Thide B. Space-division demultiplexing in orbital-angular-momentum based MIMO radio systems. IEEE Trans Antennas Propag 2015; 63(10): 4582-4587. DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2015.2456953.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: email@example.com ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20