(45-6) 02 * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Focusing of a vector beam with C-lines of polarization singularity
V.V. Kotlyar 1,2, S.S. Stafeev 1,2, A.G. Nalimov 1,2
1 IPSI RAS – Branch of the FSRC "Crystallography and Photonics" RAS,
443001, Samara, Russia, Molodogvardeyskaya 151,
2 Samara National Research University, 443086, Samara, Russia, Moskovskoye Shosse 34
PDF, 1168 kB
Full text of article: Russian language.
We discuss the sharp focusing of an initial hybrid vector light field of the n-th order that has n C-lines (lines along which the polarization is circular). Using a complex Stokes field, it is shown that the polarization singularity index of such a field is equal to n / 2. The initial field is shown to retain it singularity index in the focal plane. Analytical expressions are obtained for the intensity and Stokes vector components in the focal plane. It is shown theoretically and numerically that for an even-order field with n = 2p, the intensity pattern at the focus has symmetry and instead of C-lines, C-points are formed, with the axes of polarization ellipses rotating around them. For n = 4, there are C-points with singularity indices 1/2 and with a “lemon” topology. Around such points, a surface that is formed by the polarization ellipses in a three-dimensional space has a Möbius strip topology. For an odd-order initial field with n = 2p +1, the intensity pattern at the focus is shown to have no symmetry, with the field becoming pure vectorial (no elliptical polarization) and the linear polarization vectors rotating around V-points.
vector light beam, topological charge, polarization singularity, optical vortex.
Kotlyar VV, Stafeev SS, Nalimov AG. Focusing of a vector beam with C-lines of polarization singularity. Computer Optics 2021; 45(6): 800-808. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-CO-903.
The work was partly funded the Russian Foundation for Basic Research under grant #18-29-20003 (Section “Initial vector field with polarization singularity points”), the Russian Science Foundation under grant #18-19-00595 (Section “Vector field with polarization singularity points in the plane of sharp focus”), and the RF Ministry of Science and Higher Education within a state contract with the "Crystallography and Photonics" Research Center of the RAS (Section “Simulation”).
- Nye JF. Polarization effects in the diffraction of electromagnetic waves: the role of disclinations. Proc R Soc Lond 1983; 387(1792): 105-132.
- Nye JF, Berry MV, Dislocations in wave trains. Proc Math Phys Eng Sci 1974; 336(1605): 165-190.
- Freund I. Polarization singularity indices in Gaussian laser beams. Opt Commun 2002; 201: 251-270.
- Zhan Q. Cylindrical vector beams: from mathematical concepts to applications. Adv Opt Photon 2009; 1: 1-57.
- Wang X, Ding J, Ni W, Guo C, Wang H. Generation of arbitrary vector beams with a spatial light modulator and a common path interferometric arrangement. Opt Lett 2007; 32(24): 3549-3551.
- Naidoo D, Roux FS, Dudley A, Litvin I, Piccirillo B, Marrucci L. Controlled generation of higher-order Poincaré sphere beams from a laser. Nat Photonics 2016; 10: 327-333.
- Marrucci L, Manzo C, Paparo D. Orbital spin-to-orbital angular momentum conversion in inhomogeneous anisotropic media. Phys Rev Lett 2006; 96: 163905.
- Bomzon Z, Biener G, Kleiner V, Hasman E. Radially and azimuthally polarized beams generated by space-variant dielectric subwavelength gratings. Opt Lett 2002; 27(5): 285-287.
- Kotlyar VV, Stafeev SS, Nalimov AG, O’Faolain L. Subwavelength grating-based metalens for focusing of laser light. Appl Phys Lett 2019; 114(14): 141107. DOI: 10.1063/1.5092760.
- Ren Z, Chen Z, Wang X, Ding J, Wang H. Polarization interferometric prism: A versatile tool for generation of vector fields, measurement of topological charges, and implementation of a spin-orbit Controlled-Not gate. Appl Phys Lett 2021; 118: 011105.
- Kumar V, Viswanathan NK. Topological structures in the Poynting vector field: an experimental realization. Opt Lett 2013; 38(19): 3886-3889.
- Berry MV. Optical vortices evolving from helicoidal integer and fractional phase steps. J Opt A–Pure Appl Op 2004; 6(2): 259-268.
- Born M, Wolf E. Principles of optics: Electromagnetic theory of propagation, interference and diffraction of light. 7th ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1999.
- Arora G, Deepa S, Khan SN, Senthilkumaran P. Detection of degenerate Stokes index states. Sci Rep 2020; 10: 20759.
- Arora G, Ruchi, Senthilkumaran P. Hybrid order Poincaré spheres for Stoks singularities. Opt Lett 2020; 45: 5136-5139.
- Vyas S, Kozawa Y, Sato S. Polarization singularities in superposition of vector beams. Opt Express 2013; 21(7): 8972-8986.
- Fadeyeva TA, Shvedov VG, Izdebskaya YV, Volyar AV, Brasselet E, Neshev DN, Desyatnikov AS, Krolikowski W, Kivshar YS. Spatially engineered polarization states and optical vortices in uniaxial crystals. Opt Express 2010; 18(10): 10848-10863.
- Richards B, Wolf E. Electromagnetic diffraction in optical systems. II. Structure of the image field in an aplanatic system. Proc Math Phys Eng Sci 1959; 253(1274): 358-379.
- Prudnikov AP, Brychkov YA, Marichev OI, Integrals and series. Volume 2: Special functions. New York: Gordon and Breach; 1986.
- Kotlyar VV, Stafeev SS, Kovalev AA. Sharp focusing of a light field with polarization and phase singularities of an arbitrary order. Computer Optics 2019; 43(3): 337-346. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2019-43-3-337-346.
- Kotlyar VV, Nalimov AG, Stafeev SS. Inversion of the axial projection of the spin angular momentum in the region of the backward energy flow in sharp focus. Opt Express 2020; 28(23): 33830-33839. DOI: 10.1364/OE.401182.
- Kotlyar VV, Kovalev AA. Converting an array of edge dislocations into a multivortex beam. J Opt Soc Am A 2021; 38(5): 719-726. DOI: 10.1364/JOSAA.420963.
- Bauer T, Neugebauer M, Leuchs G, Banzer P. Optical polarization möbius strips and points of purely transverse spin density. Phys Rev Lett 2016; 117: 013601.
- Bauer T, Banser P, Karimi E, Orlov S, Rubano A, Marrucci L, Santamato E, Boyd RW, Leuchs G. Observation of optical polarization Möbius strips. Science 2015; 347(6225): 964-966.
- Kotlyar VV, Nalimov AG, Kovalev AA, Porfirev AP, Stafeev SS. Spin-orbit and orbit-spin conversion in the sharp focus of laser light: Theory and experiment. Phys Rev A 2020; 102(3): 033502. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.102.033502.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20